May is one of the best times for trekking in the Annapurna circuit. It is also known as the season of colors. The wildflowers and Rhododendron blossoms cover the hills and forested trails. The sweet fragrance of wildflowers with the combo of fresh air is refreshing.
There are a lot of reasons for the trekkers to trek to Annapurna Circuit Trek in May. The temperatures and the weather is stable during this time.
Annapurna Circuit trek allows you to know about different tribes, mountainside cultures. You can explore their unique cultural behavior and practices on the other side of the Annapurna ranges. The whole surrounding comes to life in the month of May.
Your trek to Annapurna Circuit begins at Besisahar inside the Marshyangdi river valley and finally ends up in the Kali Gandaki gorge. It usually takes 10 to 15 days to complete this trek.
Crossing the Thorong La pass at 5,416 meters is another highlight of this trek. It is the highest and most challenging pass on the circuit and crossing it feels like an achievement. You can get a stunning view of the Himalayas from this point.
You will enjoy the clear views with no fear of rain nor any tension about the weather changes during your May trek to Annapurna Circuit. Even though late May is the time of pre-monsoon in some parts of Nepal the Annapurna Circuit stays aloof from it.
You can enjoy the local meals and cozy tea house accommodation available on this trek.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Major Highlights of Annapurna Circuit Trek in May
- You can get a view of various mountains very closely.
- You will be able to collect enormous knowledge about different ethnic groups, tribes, and traditional perspectives of Nepalese people living in the mountains.
- Get a chance to see the splendid and outstanding view of great mountainside settlements and farms.
- Know more about the unique and Tibet-influenced culture and religions of the people in the region.
- Watch the spectacular sunrise and sunset views on the lap of the mountains. It is more meaningful for trekking enthusiasts.
- Catch the great incredible view of alpine vegetations, bushes and desertified lands in that great Annapurna trekking trails.
- Walk along the snowy paths of the Thorung La Pass, the highest point of the trek, on moderate temperature.
Outline Itinerary of Annapurna Circuit Trek
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu.
Day 02: Preparation day for the tour and sightseeing in Kathmandu
Day 03: Drive from Kathmandu to Bulbule (923m).
Day 04: Start of the trek from Bulbule to Chamje (1400m).
Day 05: Trek from Chyamje to Bagarchhap (2160m).
Day 06: Early in the morning trek from Bagarchhap to Chame (2630m).
Day 07: Chame to Upper Pisang (3300m).
Day 08: Trek from Pisang to Manang (3500m).
Day 09: Acclimatization day in Manang.
Day 10: Trek from Manang to Ledar (4250m).
Day 11: Early morning trek from Ledar to Thorong Phedi or High camp (4,600m).
Day 12: Thorang Phedi to Muktinath (3,710m).
Day 13: Visit Muktinath Temple and trek to Jomsom (2750m) Via Kagbeni.
Day 14: Drive from Jomsom to Tatopani(1190) Natural hot spring.
Day 15: Trek down to Ghorepani (2850m).
Day 16: Trek to Poon Hill and trek down to Ghorepani and Nayapul and drive back to Pokhara.
Climate and Temperature of Annapurna Circuit Trek in May
The temperature in Different Places in May
Minimum Temperature: 15°C, Maximum Temperature: 31°C
Minimum Temperature: 15°C, Maximum Temperature: 30°C
Minimum Temperature: 15°C, Maximum Temperature: 31°C
Minimum Temperature:18°C, Maximum Temperature: 31°C
The weather of Annapurna Circuit in May
May is the hottest month in Nepal and the weather condition is more suitable during this time. The weather of the trekking trails remains dry and stable during the Annapurna Circuit trek in May. During the daytime, you will feel the warm temperatures in the trekking trails. However, the region becomes chilling cold as the night approaches.
May is the last month of the Spring season in Nepal. You get to enjoy the unobstructed views of the mountains and the surrounding landscapes of Annapurna Circuit trails. You will get the sharpest views of the blue skies and nature as the precipitation is low in this season.
However, the trails of Annapurna Circuit Trek in May is quite windy than other trekking trails of Nepal. So, you must walk cautiously to avoid accidents on the trails and go prepared with the windproof gears.
What are the difficulties for Annapurna Circuit Trek in May?
Annapurna Circuit Trek is a moderate level trek. You should not take too much stress about the difficulties and risks during the May trek. However, You can never expect the weather to be perfect.
- There are steep stone steps. So, you must be careful while walking over the steep stone steps especially after a rainfall.
- Afternoon clouds can bring clouds and some downpours. Clouds are common during the afternoon at the end of May. You can also witness some downpours. Touring and sightseeing around the region on dark cloudy days and rainy times is not a good idea.
- The Annapurna Region is the hottest during the month of May. You might feel extremely hot and sweaty in the lower regions. While trekking under the sunshine you might feel a flood of sweat.
- The Annapurna Circuit Trek takes you to Thorong La pass at an altitude of 5416meters. So, there might be high chances of altitude sickness while ascending. You need to maintain your pace and take more rest and while walking.
- You should be prepared for the communication problems as cell phones may not work above Chomrong/Sinuwa.
- May is a busy season. You might find difficulty in finding rooms in places where there are very few hotels to stay in. Prebooking is the best choice.
- The place is more remote as you go higher. It is difficult to find ATMs, Bank and Shops. So, carry enough cash and all the essentials for the trek along with you.
- It is difficult to find pure drinking water on the trail. Buying bottled water is really expensive at higher altitudes. So, carry your own refillable water bottle and a water purifier.
- The weather change is unpredictable in high altitude areas. You might face bad weather conditions in the Annapurna region even in May. So you must be prepared for any situation.
Food and Accommodation for Annapurna Circuit Trek in May
Annapurna Circuit trek in May is one of the most popular seasons for trekking in Nepal. The food and accommodation will be enough along the route. The option for the food and accommodation during the journey in Kathmandu and Pokhara is limitless. During this time, you will find numerous hotels ranging from simple tea houses to 5-star hotels with limitless services.
You will encounter many tea houses en route as you start walking on the trekking trail. You do not have to worry about their services as the price is maintained by the ACAP.
The tea houses normally provide you with a twin-bed room with a common toilet. You can even ask for extra blankets if needed.
You will have a lot of choices in food. All types of food like coffee, momo, noodles, the Nepali food- Dal Bhat along with seasonal vegetables and other continental dishes are also available.
Since May is the peak time for trekking in this region you must not forget to book a room in advance.
Why Annapurna Circuit Trek in May?
No Fear of Rain
The Annapurna Circuit trail is located in the rainshadow area of Dhaulagiri and Annapurna massifs. So, you are away from the leeches and the slippery trails while trekking in May. While trekking you can experience dry weather and pleasant temperatures.
The weather of the Annapurna trail is always good in the day. You can feel cold weather at nighttime but it is bearable. You will get clear views of the surrounding area of the Annapurna trail. You can feel more comfortable during this time as you won’t need to manage any rain gear or worry about the snow-covered trails.
Be the part of a better hospitality
During your trek to Annapurna Circuit in May, you will have an amazing time in the guesthouses and homestays. You will get a chance to explore the well-managed civilization of different castes and tribes of Nepal like Thakalis and Sherpas. The warm hospitality is the moment to cherish in this trek.
Incredible Landscape View
In this time of May, you can see a lot of amazing crystal clear views of mountains on the trail of the Annapurna trekking route. Annapurna Circuit trails are renowned for beautiful amazing natural views. You can see the green barley field, alpine trees, and great geographic scenario of the natural view of Nepal.
You can witness different behaviors of the endangered bird species, animals and vegetation in the region.
Some Tips for Annapurna Circuit Trek in May
- You need to wear lightweight and comfortable trekking boots. It will be easy for you to walk over rugged and difficult trails.
- Hire a porter if you have heavy loads that are difficult to carry.
- Do not rush and take proper care of your body and health. Maintain a steady pace while walking.
- Always hydrate yourself by drinking safe and non-polluted drinking water. Your body dehydrates faster at higher altitudes so you need to be careful.
- You should carry some extra snacks with you. You can have chocolates, energy bars, and other instant energy-providing foods if you feel tired while walking.
- Walk down to lower altitude and rest till you are fine in cases you see any symptoms of Altitude Sickness.
- A waterproof map is always helpful during the Annapurna Circuit Trek. This will keep you on track and ensure your safety.
- Do not carry unnecessary items in your backpack.
- Pre-book hotels and lodges for your food and accommodation.
- You should bring a light rain jacket and rain cover for your backpack if you are trekking in late May. Plan your trek at the beginning of May, rather than later for May.
- Do not forget to carry your important documents like citizenship, photos, passport, and permits. This ensures that you are traveling legally.
Similar Treks you may like:
For more information about the packages please contact us.
Packing List for Annapurna Circuit Trek in May
- Proof of Insurance
- Nepali currencies in cash for tips, and to purchase Visa
- Valid passport, extra passport size photos, visa, and ticket
- Photocopy of your passport and visa
- Trekking permits
- Trekking socks
- Hiking boots
- Sleeping bags
- Bandana or headscarf
- Trekking T-shirts
- Windproof trousers
- Shell jackets
- Down Jacket
- First Aid kits
- Medicines against fever, diarrhea, headache, cold, etc
- Water purification tablets
- Hand Sanitizers
- Toilet paper
- Quick-drying towels
- Multi-purpose soap
What are the other best seasons for Annapurna Circuit Trek?
Autumn i.e. from September to November is the other best season for trekking in Annapurna Circuit.
The autumn months are famous for its soothing climate and favorable temperatures. Autumn is also a festive season with vibrant festivals Dashain and Tihar falling at this time of the year.
Do I need any permits? If Yes, How many?
Yes. You will need the Trekker’s Information Management System Card (TIMS card) and the Annapurna Conservation Area Permit (ACAP), which are $20 each for individual trekkers. You can obtain both the permits at the Nepal Tourism Board in Kathmandu. You will need your passport and passport-sized pictures with you as well.
Should I hire a guide/porter during the trek?
The Annapurna Circuit Trek can be done without a guide or porter. However, having a guide may be useful if you haven’t trekked before. Porters can lessen the burden by carrying your stuff during the trek. If you have an existing medical condition (back problems, bad knees, etc), you should definitely hire.
Do I get to use Wi-Fi on the trek?
The Wifi facility is available in most guesthouses for free or for a small charge. However, you will be in the mountains so the Wi-Fi might not be working. Being offline for awhile can be surprisingly beneficial!
How to avoid altitude sickness?
The key to avoiding altitude sickness is to acclimatize properly. Expert trekker’s advice is not to rush and to take it slow.
You should hydrate regularly with at least 5 liters of water. If needed, you can also take precautionary tablets under the supervision of a medical professional.
How much weight can one porter carry?
A porter generally carries 10kg per client. They usually carry for two clients, which means they can carry a maximum of 20kg. However, it is advisable to reduce the amount of luggage and only take the necessary ones.
Note: This is a detail of going on an Annapurna Circuit Trek in May. It is designed for you to make your trek easy. You can customize your trek according to the places you want to visit. Exciting Nepal provides you with a complete plan of your trek and organizes a hassle-free trip.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.