Home » Everest Guide » Everest Base Camp Trek Permit Cost

everest base camp trek permit cost

Everest Base Camp Trek Permit Cost

If you are looking to trek to Everest Base Camp, there are various kinds of costs that are involved. A majority of the cost is involved in the list of items you pack. Besides, there is also the cost of accommodation and food. A type of cost that is easy to overlook is the cost of the various permits you need to have while trekking in the Everest region.

There are three permits you need to have while trekking to Everest Base Camp. One of them is the permit for trekking inside the premises of Sagarmatha National Park. Another one is known as Trekker’s Information Management System (TIMS) card. Finally, you also need Gaurishankar Conservation Area Permit. However, this permit is only needed if you are going to Everest Base Camp from Jiri.

The cost of all of these permits is different. There are various ways of getting these permits. Let us take a look at these permits, their costs, and how to obtain them.

trek to Everest Base Camp

Sagarmatha National Park Permit

Mt. Everest is known as Sagarmatha in Nepali. The area around the Everest region is a protected territory. The national park was established in 1976. So every trekker who wants to trek to Everest Base Camp has to have the permit of Sagarmatha National Park.


The cost of this permit is Rs. 3000 plus an additional tax of 13% to this amount. This amounts to a total of Rs 3390 per person.

Where do I get Sagarmatha National Park Permit?

You can get Sagarmatha National Park Permit at Nepal Tourism Board located in Kathmandu. You don’t need a photo for this permit. The Tourism Board of Nepal is around 30 mins walk away from Thamel. You can also get the Sagarmatha National Park Permit at Monjo. Monjo is a small village in the Everest region. It serves as an entrance to Sagarmatha National Park.


Before October 1,  2017, TIMS card was necessary for trekkers in the Everest region. TIMS Card is still valid for trekkers in other regions of Nepal. But if you want to trek to EBC from Jiri, you will need a TIMS Card. TIMS is issued by Tourism Agency Association of Nepal (TAAN). There are 2 kinds of TIMS card that are issued- one for an Independent trekker and one for an organized trekker.


TIMS Card for Independent Trekker

  • Color- Green
  • Cost- Rs 2000 Per Person
  • Photos – 2
  • Collected by- Self

TIMS Card for Organized Trekker

  • Color- Blue
  • Cost- Rs 1000 Per Person
  • Photos – 1
  • Collected by – Local Trekking Agency

So a TIMS Card is not necessary if you take a flight from Kathmandu to Lukla and then start your trek. It is only needed for Jiri to Everest Base Camp trek.

Nowadays, the power of issuing a permit for EBC trek has been issued to local authorities. So you can get a local permit for your EBC trek in Lukla. The cost of this local permit is Rs. 2000 for independent as well as organized trekkers. You don’t need a photograph for this permit as well.

Where do I get the TIMS Card?

You could obtain the TIMS card in Nepal Tourism Board. You can avoid this hassle by letting a local trekking agency collect your TIMS Card. The local permit that has replaced the TIMS card can only be obtained in Lukla.

everest base camp trek

Gaurishankar Conservation Area Permit

This permit is an additional permit. If you are looking to trek to Everest Base Camp from Jiri, you have to get the Gaurishankar Conservation Area Permit. This is because some part of the trekking route from Jiri falls within the boundaries of this conservation area.


The cost of Gaurishankar Conservation Area Permit depends upon where you want to get it. If you choose to get it in Nepal Tourism Board, Kathmandu, it will cost you Rs 2000. If you want to get it in Shivalaya, the price is doubled.

Where Can I get the Gaurishankar Conservation Area Permit?

As I said before, you can either get it in Kathmandu or Shivalaya. But note that there are prices are subject to change.

Final Thoughts

The costs of the permits to Everest Base Camp depends upon the route you will be taking. If you take a flight from Kathmandu to Lukla and start your journey, you will need only the Sagarmatha National Park permit and a local permit of the Everest region. The classic Jiri to EBC trek requires you to have all the permits i.e Sagarmatha National Park Permit, TIMS Card, Gaurishankar Conservation Area Permit, and the local permit in Lukla.