Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic, not only Nepal but all the countries went on lockdown for most of 2020. But recently, the international borders of Nepal opened for travelers. So, one of the most asked inquiries is, “Is Everest Base Camp Trek Open?”
Yes, Nepal has reopened its trekking routes and lifted all the quarantine requirements of the traveler. However, you have to follow the now effective rule to travel to Nepal:
Before the Arrival or Visa on Arrival:
- Proof of vaccination or Negative covid test within 72 hours before your departure
- Pre-approved letter of recommendation or Visa of Nepal
- Travel insurance
- Hotel booking
After your arrival:
- Get a Covid PCR test. If the test comes as negative, you can start your trekking activity. So, plan an extra in Kathmandu to arrange for this before the program.
- You might need a PCR covid test as per your destination or airline’s rule before departing the country. So, please add an extra day after your program and before your departure.
Safety Protocol in Nepal
The guides and agencies will be strictly following the safety procedure related to the Covid- 19. Some arrangements to secure the safety of the visitors during the trek are:
- All members, including the guides and driver, are well trained in the Covid- 19 prevention protocol.
- After every trek, all the trekking equipment and gears will be cleaned and disinfected.
- Guide and crew members will properly sanitize their hand
- All the food cooking and packaging areas will be sanitized and cleaned properly
- All office staff and crew members will maintain social distancing
- The crew members must have a compulsory health check and temperature screening before interacting with the guests.
Things to consider when planning for a trek
- Covid testing and visa requirement
- International flights have resumed, but they can be changed due to pandemics, so inform the agencies beforehand.
- Quarantine requirement according to the country
- Travel insurance
About Everest Base Camp Trek
Everest Base Camp lies on the foothills of Mount Everest, the world’s highest mountain. This majestic mountain resides at an altitude of 8848.84 m above sea level. This peak has two base camps on the south and north side.
The South base camp lies in Nepal at an altitude of 5364 m above sea level. And the North base camp lies in Tibet, China, at an altitude of 5150 m above sea level.
The bases are campsites used by climbers while ascending and descending the mountain. But this place is visited by trekkers as well who want to view the marvelous Mount Everest.
Everest Base Camp Trek is the most well-known trekking route of the Himalayas. Every year about 40000 people begin the trek to the base camp from the Lukla airport.
Similar articles you may like:
- Everest Base Camp Trekking Routes
- Best Time for Trekking To Everest Base Camp
- Everest Base Camp Trek in April
- Everest Base Camp Trek Weather and Temperature
Everest Base Camp Trek Days
Everest Base Camp Trek takes about a week, more or fewer days to finish the trip. You can complete the journey within a few days or stay for about 14 to 16 days in this region. The exploring and the end day destination change according to the days you select. A few of the Everest base camp trek different days itinerary and overview are below:
3 Days trek to Everest Base Camp
Many say it is impossible to reach Everest base camp and return within three days. But sorry to prove you wrong because it is possible. You won’t have acclimatization like other days’ trek, but you will reach the base and return.
The 3 Days trek to Everest Base Camp is the shortest trek available. You will visit some of the major tourist destinations of this region. You have your breakfast at Hotel Everest View, the highest placed hotel in the world.
This beautiful hotel lies at an altitude of 3880 m/ 13000 ft above sea level. It offers a 360 Degree view of Everest along with other mountains. Eating your breakfast while viewing the awe-inspiring scenarios that surround the hotel is quite an adventure.
There are fewer chances of altitude sickness, but you should not be completely carefree. As there is no rest day, you need to take proper care of your health to prevent AMS.
Your Everest Base Camp 3 Days trek begins with a short flight to Lukla, then trek to Phakding. You will pass some beautiful villages on this trip, such as Namche, Top Danda, Phakding, etc.
The beautiful views along the way are themselves a welcome to the Everest region. You walk through mixed forests offering a wide range of species of floras such as rhododendron, etc.
You also get to see the beautiful culture and tradition of the locals residing in the areas. Crossing suspension bridges and forests, you head to Namche bazaar and stay there.
Then hike to Everest View hotel the next day and fly to Everest base camp via helicopter and return to Kathmandu. Everest Base Camp, 3 Days trek, offers both trek and helicopter rides to EBC and back to Kathmandu.
Highlights of the 3 Days trek to Everest Base Camp
- Shortest trek to Everest Base Camp
- Visit the highest placed hotel in the world
- Helicopter tour to Everest Base Camp and Kathmandu
- Do both trek and helicopter tour
- Birdseye view of the peaks from Helicopter
Day 1: Flight from Kathmandu to Lukla (2860 m) (30 to 35 min.) then trek to Phakding (2610 m) (3 to 4 hours)
Day 2: Trek from Phakding towards Namche Bazaar (3440 m) (6 to 7 hours)
Day 3: Hike to Hotel Everest View (3880 m) (1 to 2 hours) then Helicopter tour to Everest Base Camp (5364 m) (5 to 10 min.) then back to Kathmandu via heli (1400 m) (40 min)
Everest Base Camp Trek 5 Days
The 5 Days Everest Base Camp Trek is a short version of the classical Everest Base Camp trek. The trek is an easier one suitable for people from the age group of 8 to 80 years old.
The 5 Days Everest Base Camp Trek is also known as Everest Luxury Trek leading you to Mount Everest’s laps. You get to enjoy the splendid view of many majestic peaks like Ama Dablam, Kusungkaru, Lhotse, Nuptse, Everest, etc.
On this Luxury trek, you will be staying in Luxurious lodges with cozy rooms. You get the chance to glimpse the daily life of the local Sherpas residing in these areas.
Enjoy the 5 Day Everest trek walking through colorful farmlands and luscious rhododendron forests, pines, oaks, and more. The route is comfortable for both experienced and inexperienced trekkers with no risk of AMS.
You begin the 5 Day Everest Trek by flying out to Lukla, the gateway to Mount Everest. This small town showcases the history and traditions of Sherpas. From here, you move to Phakding by passing through traditional villages.
Then making ascends through steep paths, crossing numerous bridges, and rivers you arrive at Namche Bazaar. This beautiful town has the biggest Sherpa settlements in the Khumbu region.
After a night in Namche, you head to Syangboche the next day; the trek is short, so you visit the nearby places. Then the following day, you take the scenic helicopter flight to EBC and fly back to Lukla.
From Lukla, you head back to Kathmandu with a 25 min scenic flight. If you have more time in your hand, then you can select the long days in this region.
Highlights of Everest Base Camp Trek 5 Days
- Short flight with breathtaking views of the surrounding from Kathmandu to Lukla
- Reach on the base of Mount Everest, the world’s tallest mountain
- Experience hiking in the mountain enjoying local foods and customs
- Thrilling helicopter ride to Everest and Lukla
Day 1: Fly from Kathmandu to Lukla (2860 m) via airplane (25 min), then trek to Phakding (3 to 4 hours) (2610 m)
Day 2: Trek to Namche Bazaar (3440 m) (5 to 6 hours)
Day 3: Trek to Syangboche (3833 m) (2 hours)
Day 4: Helicopter Ride towards Everest Base Camp (10 min) (5364 m) and fly back to Lukla (15 min)
Day 5: Back to Kathmandu via airplane (1400 m)
7 Day Everest Base Camp Trek
7 Day Everest Base Camp Trek is a scenic and short visit to one of the well-known trekking destinations, the EBC trek. This trek lets you explore the Khumbu valley that displays the local Sherpa people’s hardworking life and rich Himalayan culture.
During this trek, you pass through one of the UNESCO Heritage Sites of the world, Sagarmatha National Park. This national park is one of the prestige of the Khumbu district.
Many endangered plants and wildlife reside inside the park. Some of them are musk deer, Himalayan black bear, wolf, lynx, snow leopard, blue pine, silver fir, snow pigeon, red and yellow-billed chough, etc.
This beautiful 7 Day Everest Base Camp Trek begins with a 25 min scenic flight to Lukla. It is one heck of an adventure to land in one of the world’s thrilling runways. The landing in Lukla airport is exciting due to its narrow runway that lies between a cliff.
The picturesque view of the Himalayan chain looks mesmerizing through the aerial view. You get the picture of Langtang, Gaurishankar, Cho Oyu, Makalu, Nuptse, and others.
The Everest Base Camp 7 Days Trek is sure to feel your memories with a lifetime experience of the Himalayas. If you have no issue with time, then you can choose the longer trek.
Highlights of 7 Day Everest Base Camp Trek
- The striking view of the world’s highest mountain, including other peaks as well
- Visit Namche Bazaar, the capital and biggest Sherpa town in the Khumbu region.
- Enjoy the walkthrough of Sagarmatha national park and witness different birds, animals, and plants.
- Visit the oldest and largest Buddhist monastery of the Everest region, Tengboche.
- Notice the Khumbu glacier and Khumbu icefall
- Visit the Edmund Hillary school residing in Khumjung, the mountain village.
Day 1: Welcome to Nepal, arrive at the Tribhuwan International airport, and transfer to Hotel.
Day 2: Fly to Lukla (2860 m) from Kathmandu, then Trek to Namche Bazaar (3440 m) ( 7 to 8 hours)
Day 3: Trek to Tengboche from Namche Bazaar (3870 m) (5 to 6 hours)
Day 4: Trek to Dingboche from Tengboche (4350 m) (6 hours)
Day 5: Trek to Lobuche from Dingboche (4920 m) (5 hours)
Day 6: Trek to Gorakshep (5170 m) (4 hours) then Hike to Everest Base Camp (5364 m) (2 to 3 hours) and back to Gorak Shep
Day 7: Early morning hike and sunrise view from Kala Patthar (5555 m) (1 to 1.5 hours) and fly back to Kathmandu via Helicopter (1400 m) (45 min)
Everest Base Camp Trek 8 Days
The Everest base camp 8 Days trek is a classic journey suitable for trekkers who are short on time. This trekking option is the most accessible one for trekkers who are time-bound to take many days off their schedule.
You take a step towards the journey of a lifetime in the Khumbu region’s highlands: the heart of the Sherpa community. You will discover the fascinating mixture of classic peaks, timeless monasteries, and friendly villagers.
The Everest Base Camp trek 8 Days itinerary allows you to reach Mount Everest’s base with a round-trip circuit. You won’t miss out on any adventure that this place has to offer.
This region offers its exceptional beauty and extraordinary challenges to the hiker and trekkers no matter the season. You will cross lush forests, alpine grassland covered in wildflowers, and beautiful trailside villages located on the mountain’s steep slope.
You will pass numerous iconic Himalayan villages of Khumbu such as Namche Bazaar, Tengboche, Lobuche, etc. At the end of the journey, you reach Everest Base Camp, whose trail shadows the range of mighty mountains.
The trekking days in this region showcase a beautiful combination of majestic Himalayan ranges, breathtaking scenarios, and unique Sherpa culture. This trek is an excellent package for all nature and adventure lovers.
This beautiful journey allows you to get closer to Mount Everest, giving you a life-changing experience. You need to be mentally and physically burly plus fit for the Everest base camp Trek 8 Days.
Highlights of Everest Base Camp Trek 8 Days
- Enjoy warm reception from your hosts after arriving in Kathmandu
- An aerial view of the stunning mountains as you fly over the Himalayas during the two dramatic flights from Kathmandu to Lukla
- Stay a night at the beautiful mountain town Namche Bazaar and visit the Sherpa Museum to learn about their rich tradition and culture.
- Sight the breathtaking views of snow-capped peaks like Lhotse, Ama Dablam, Nuptse, Mount Everest, etc.
- Ascend the altitude above 5000 m in this trek
- Reach Kala Patthar, the highest point
- Reach the foot of the world’s tallest mountain
Day 1: Flight from Kathmandu to Lukla (2860 m) (25 min.) and trek to Phakding (2610 m) (3 to 4 hours)
Day 2: Trek from Phakding towards Namche Bazaar (3450 m) (5 to 6 hours)
Day 3: Trek from Namche to Pangboche (3090 m) (6 to 7 hours)
Day 4: Trek from Pangboche to Thukla (4620 m) (6 to 7 hours)
Day 5: Trek from Thukla to Gorak Shep (5170 m) (5 hours), then hike to Everest Base Camp (5364 m) (2 hours) and trek back to Gorak Shep.
Day 6: Trek down to Pheriche from Gorak Shep (4250 m) (5 to 6 hours)
Day 7: Trek from Pheriche to Namche (3450 m) (6 to 7 hours)
Day 8: Trek to Lukla (6 hours)
Everest Base Camp Trek 11 days
Everest Base Camp Trek 11 Days takes you on a scenic adventure on this multi-day trekking tour. This trek is for travelers who have a keen interest in setting foot at the base of the world’s highest mountain, Mount Everest but have a short time frame.
This trek offers an eye-catching view of the snow-capped Himalayan ranges of the Khumbu region. The tour challenges you with few rugged routes and altitude climbing hikes while enjoying the ease and comfortable hospitality.
The Everest Base Camp Trek 11 Days takes you through the beautiful land of Sherpa. The fascinating traditions and culture of the Sherpa people will immerse you along the way.
This 11 Days Everest base camp trek package is fast and enjoyable that begins from Lukla. After arriving here, you trek to Phakding, then Namche the next day, and stay there.
From there, you trek to Tengboche then to Dingboche the following day. After you head to Lobuche, stay a night and head to Gorak Shep from where you hike to Everest Base Camp.
Roaming around for some time, you head back to Gorak Shep, where you stay the night. Then the next day, early morning, you hike to Kala Patthar to view the sunrise and head down to Pheriche.
From Pheriche, you head to Namche Bazaar and then to Lukla and fly back to Kathmandu from there.
Highlights of Everest Base Camp Trek 11 days
- Explore ancient sites of the Kathmandu valley
- Scenic mountain flight from Kathmandu to Lukla
- View beautiful waterfall, cross several yak farms, and terraced fields
- Get lost in the wilderness of rich cultural Sherpa villages
- Marvelous vista of Mt. Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse, Ama Dablam, and many more
- Get a glimpse of Mount Everest, the world’s tallest peak
- Trek through Sagarmatha National Park
- Visit the Khumbu monastery, Tengboche
Day 1: Fly to Lukla (2860 m) (25 min) then Trek to Phakding (2610 m) (3 to 4 hours)
Day 2: Trek to Namche Bazaar (3445 m) (6 to 7 hours)
Day 3: Acclimatize at Namche and visit Hotel Everest View or other nearby places.
Day 4: Trek to Tengboche (3860 m) (4 to 5 hours)
Day 5: Trek to Dingboche (4360 m) (5 to 6 hours)
Day 6: Trek to Lobuche (4930 m) (6 to 7 hours)
Day 7: Trek to Gorak Shep (5160 m) (3 to 4 hours) then trek to Everest Base Camp (5364 m) (1 to 2 hours) then back
Day 8: Morning hike to Kala Pathar (5555 m) (2 hours), then trek down to Pheriche (4210 m) (5 to 6 hours)
Day 9: Trek to Namche Bazaar (3445 m) (6 to 7 hours)
Day 10: Trek to Lukla (6 to 7 hours)
Day 11: Fly back to Kathmandu and transfer to Hotel
You may also like:
Everest Base Camp Trek 13 Days
Everest Base Camp Trek 13 days is a lifetime journey that lets you explore the beauty of the Himalayas. The itinerary is professionally designed to let you enjoy every second of the trip.
The trails are adventurous and pass through different climatic zones and vegetation. You will walk through Sagarmatha National park and the various alpine forests of the region.
Along the way, you pass several small villages and cross suspension and wooden bridges as well. The trek takes you to the foot of the world’s tallest peak, Mount Everest.
You get to see the striking views of the Himalayas such as Mount Everest, Mt. Lhotse, Mt. Nuptse, Mt. Pumori, Mt. Cho Oyu, Mt.. Ama Dablam, Mt. Thamserku, Mt. Kongde, Imja Tse, etc.
Along with snow-capped peaks, you get to sight the tempting landscapes, picturesque valleys, moraines, ancient monasteries, glistening glaciers, colorful prayer flags on the way as well.
Many communities like Sherpa, Lama, Rai, and many more reside on the land of the Khumbu region. You stay overnight in several traditionally rich villages giving you insight into their day-to-day lifestyle.
13 Days Everest Base Camp trek has the perfect balance of challenges and adventure that keeps you on your feet. Every year voyagers from around the globe visit the trails to feel this excitement.
The trails get remote and isolated as you ascend and gain elevation. But the beautiful scenarios don’t leave your side throughout the journey. You get to catch some of the best views of the mountain from Everest Base Camp and Kala Patthar.
Kala Patthar is also the best viewpoint to see the sunrise in the entire Khumbu region. This Everest Base Camp Trek takes you closer to nature and helps you unwind from the chaos of life.
Most of the villages are far from modern technology and facilities teaching you how to survive in extreme environments. To prevent AMS, the group will acclimatize in several towns.
Highlights of Everest Base Camp Trek 13 Days
- Begin with a thrilling flight to Lukla
- Visit the Sagarmatha National Park, home to endangered animals and flora
- Trek through dense forests of wildlife, flowers, and plants.
- Explore the beautiful Sherpa town, Namche Bazar
- An opportunity to enhance your knowledge of the lifestyle and culture of Sherpa people
- Visit the oldest Monastery, Tengboche
- Reach Everest Base Camp
- Hike to Kala Patthar, the higest stop
- See the gorgeous view of sunrise from the viewpoint
- Witness numerous majestic mountains on this trek
Day 1: Welcome to the Home of Himalayas, Nepal
Day 2: Fly to Lukla (2860 m) (25 min) then trek to Phakding (2640 m) (3 to 4 hours)
Day 3: Trek from Phakding to Namche Bazaar (3440 m) (5 to 6 hours)
Day 4: Acclimatize at Namche and visit nearby attraction sites
Day 5: Trek from Namche to Tengboche (3860 m) (6 hours)
Day 6: Trek from Tengboche to Dingboche (4350 m) (5 to 6 hours)
Day 7: Acclimatize at Dingboche
Day 8: Trek from Dingboche to Lobuche (4910 m) (5 hours)
Day 9: Trek towards Everest Base Camp (5365 m) and Back to Gorak Shep (5180 m) (6 to 8 hours)
Day 10: Hike to Kala Patthar (5545 m) and trek to Pheriche (4120 m) (7 hours)
Day 11: Trek from Pheriche to Namche (3440 m) (4 hours)
Day 12: Trek from Namche to Lukla (2840 m) ( 6 hour)
Day 13: Fly back to Kathmandu (1400 m)