The 5 days Mardi Himal trek is an easier trekking route in the Annapurna region. It is a short but a high altitude trekking trail. You will walk on the high ridges with magnificent views of Mt. Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, Manaslu, and Machhapuchhre.
Mardi Himal Trek blesses the trekkers with an overwhelming adventure. You will love the enticing views of the snow-capped peaks in the Annapurna Region. Walking across the chain of green hills, you will have the most beautiful memories.
The scenic natural beauty is immensely scattered throughout the region. Walking past the traditional Gurung villages and witnessing Buddhist culture is truly blissful. The warm hospitality of villagers at villages like Kande, Pothana, Siding, Deurali, etc is remarkable.
This wonderful journey takes you to 4,500 meters to display the marvelous landscapes. The Low Camp, Forest Camp, High Camp, and the Mardi Himal Base Camp are such amazing places to be at.
Get ready to recollect the diverse culture and geography of the Annapurna region in less time. The 5 days Mardi Himal Trip at an affordable cost customizes the uncountable highlights of the entire region.
5 Days Mardi Himal Trek Itinerary
Day 01: Drive to Kande and trek to Deurali/ Pothana
Altitude: 2, 125 m, Deurali
Trek duration: 3 to 4 hours hike
We start our trek from Pokhara, the beautiful city of lakes in Nepal. A short drive for nearly an hour from Pokhara will take us to Kande.
From Kande, the real trek begins. We trek to Pothana/ Deurali for a nightstand. A 3 to 4 hours hike takes us to our destination of the day.
You won’t have more options for a hotel. There are only 5 hotels in Pothana whereas the number reduces to 3 for Deurali. After check in to a hotel, take rest and enjoy.
Overnight at a comfortable Lodge. All board meals included.
Day 02: Trek to the Low Camp
Maximum altitude: 3,150m, Low Camp
Trek duration: 3 to 4 hours
We will enjoy a fresh morning with a nice breakfast at the hotel in Deurali. We then continue our trek to the Low camp. Trekking along the beautiful trail enjoying the most scenic views, we will enjoy the trek.
After walking for nearly 3 hours, we will reach the Low Camp. The Low Camp displays the mesmerizing view of Mt. Machhapuchhre (Fishtail) Himal.
At the Low Camp, you will have only 3 choices for lodging. Do not worry about the facilities they provide. The lodges are adorable and the owners are hospitable. You will get a room in twin sharing basis.
Overnight at the Low Camp.
Day 03: Trek to the High Camp
Maximum altitude: 3,700 m, High Camp
Trek duration: 5 to 6 hours
Starting at the Low Camp, we will trek straight to the High Camp today. After ascending through the Rhododendron forests for 1.5 hours we will reach the Middle Camp.
Leaving behind the Badal Danda, we will continue for 4-5 hours along the Mardi Himal ridge. You can enjoy the majestic vistas of Machhapuchhre (Fishtail), Annapurna ‘South’ and Hiunchuli. Also, few Rhododendron bushes and the colorful Danphe in the region are mesmerizing.
Once you reach the High Camp, you will see 3 lodges for a stay. The lodges are perfect viewpoints of the snow-covered peaks. The lodge is bigger having 8 individual rooms excluding the dining room.
Overnight at the High Camp.
Day 04: Hike to the Mardi Base Camp and trek down to Siding
Maximum altitude: 4,500 m, Mardi Base Camp
Trek duration: 8 to 9 hours
Starting from the High camp in the morning, we finally head towards our major destination. It takes around 5 hours to reach the Mardi Base Camp. At the base camp, we will enjoy the splendid nature. We will spend some time there exploring the lustrous Himalayas and snowy landscapes.
It’s now time to descend back to Siding. The trail demands around 4 hours of a bit steep and slippery descent. The harsh trail takes you into a beautiful traditional village of Siding.
Overnight at a Trekkers Lodge or a homestay at Siding witnessing the wonderful cultural experiences.
Day 05: Drive back to Pokhara
This is the last day of our trek. The day involves a trek to Lumre from where we can find a jeep ride back to Pokhara. It is around an hour’s drive from there to Pokhara.
Overnight at Pokhara enjoying the musical nights there.
Highlights of 5 days Mardi Himal Trek
- Amazing view of the Himalayan panorama. It includes Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, Machhapuchhre (Fishtail), Manaslu and Mardi Himal.
- The lifestyle, culture, tradition, and hospitality of local ethnic groups, especially Gurung.
- Beautiful and remote villages like Siding and Liwang
- Exotic floral and faunal diversity along the trekking trail. You will see Rhododendron, magnolia, pine, and oak forest along the trails.
- The lush forests, green hills, rugged landscapes.
- Natural diversity: Greenery, vegetation and terraced farms alongside the trek route
- The Mardi Himal Base Camp, High Camp, and the Forest Base Camp
Temperature and Weather During Mardi Himal Trek
Mardi Himal experiences different seasons: Spring, Monsoon, Autumn and Winter.
Spring (March to May)
Spring means colorful blossoms of Rhododendron and other wildflowers on the lower regions. While trekking in Spring, you will walk across the colorful hills and forests. Inhaling the aroma of flowers along the trekking trail is a unique experience.
During Spring, the highest temperature may average up to 20 degrees. The daytime temperature averages around 17 degrees. Nights and early mornings are cold, yet bearable.
Monsoon (June to September)
While trekking in monsoon, you will experience heavy rainfalls, mostly in evenings and nights. But the rainfall is lighter in the higher altitudes.
The visibility may be poor because of rainfall and heavy clouds. Also, the risk of leeches may increase with the monsoon. During this trek, you will see more leeches at the forest areas.
If you are trekking in Monsoon, remember to wear long trekking trousers. And carry the insect repellant or table salts with you.
During monsoon, temperature ranges between 10 to 23-degree Celsius. The temperature may fall after rainfall. So, the temperature at nights and early mornings ranges between 5 to 10-degree Celsius.
Autumn (October to December)
Early Autumn is the end of Monsoon. So, it has a cooler weather. Monsoon rain washes off the dirt in the atmosphere. Thus, the atmosphere is very clean and dust free. So, Autumn has the amazing visibility and crystal clear blue skies.
While walking in the sunlight, you will experience a temperature around 20 degree Celsius. However, the temperatures at night drop to around 5 degrees.
Winter (January to March)
Winter means more snow and chilling cold. Nights are extremely cold at higher elevations. While trekking in winter, it may be difficult to stand the extreme cold weather and heavy snowfall.
The approximated drop in temperature is by 5 degree Celsius with every 1000 meters altitude gain. Daytime temperature averages around 9 to 12-degree Celsius. Temperature drops to around – 5 degree Celsius in nights and mornings.
Best Time to do the 5 days Mardi Himal Trek
You can plan your Mardi Himal 5 days trek any time of the year. However, traveling in best months offers you favorable weather and the best visibility. The best time for Mardi Himal trek is during the Spring ( March to May) and Autumn (October to December) season.
Permits for 5 Days Mardi Himal Trek
Before you opt for the 5 days Mardi Himal Trek, it is necessary to collect two essential permits:
Annapurna Conservation Area Entry Permit (ACAP): USD 20
You will be traveling into the beautiful Annapurna areas. The cost you pay for ACAP aids to the conservation of the Annapurna area.
Trekkers Information Management System (TIMS): USD 10
This permit is undeniable for the foreign trekkers who wish to trek to the Mardi Himal. You can arrange your TIMS permit while in Kathmandu.
There are various checkpoints along the trekking trail where you have to show your permits. This permit is basically for your safety.
Difficulty during the 5 Days Mardi Himal Trek
- While trekking in the Himalayas, you must be aware of physical injuries and risks of deaths. So, you must be cautious about your actions.
- Weather at high Himalaya is unpredictable. You might experience extreme weather conditions that are beyond our control. Be prepared for everything.
- Even though the risk of Altitude Sickness is very less, do not ignore if you get any symptoms.
- The 5 day Mardi Himal Trek covers a total distance of 49 km. You must walk for nearly 6 to 7 hours per day. The walk isn’t so easy and can be tiresome.
How Fit Should You be for the 5 Days Mardi Himal Trek?
The 5 days Mardi Himal trek is an easy to moderate grade trek. This trek is suitable for all level of people.
The trek doesn’t require any level of physical fitness. However, a good physique is a key for a comfortable trekking experience.
Also, the final ascent from the High Camp to the Mardi Base Camp is a challenging part. The section involves trekking over the rocky section.
Doing cardio exercises like running, jogging, cycling is a benefit. Moreover, you can go on hikes or short treks before going to the Mardi Himal Trek.
We also advise you to consult your medical advisor before you go for the trek.
Extra Tips on Your 5 Days Mardi Himal Trek
- Drink plenty of water. You’ll sweat more while walking. Your body will love more water content. And you may feel dehydrated. So, to maintain body hydration, drink water sufficiently.
- Carry water purifiers with you. Drinking the steam water directly is not hygienic. Add the purifiers in your after you fill your bottle.
- Carry the insect repellents and table salts while trekking in summer and in monsoon. They are easy to deal with mosquitoes and leeches, mainly.
- Trekking with a guide is a great option. They will help you throughout the trek. Hiring a guide boosts your safety. They will help you to arrange for food and accommodations.
- Carry enough cash. The Mardi Himal Trek is a newly established trail. So, you may not find ATM’s in the route. Get enough cash that will last throughout the trek.
- Know about the temperature and weather conditions of the place before you get there. Choose to trek in the best months of the year for best experiences.
Accommodation and Meals
The Mardi Himal trek is purely a tea house trek. Most of the tea houses provide you with the basic facilities. You will have a good place to eat, rest, and spend the night at. They will provide a plain bed with comfortable mattress and a blanket.
The food required for fueling your body involves three times of filling food per day. You will enjoy the breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner at the places of stay, or in tea houses along the hiking trails.
The basic menu for food includes local meals. You may not have more choices of food, but whatever you eat is healthy. The food menu has dal, Bhat, tarkari, momo (dumplings) and noodles on top priorities.
For drinks, you can choose anything from tea, coffee, and/or some flavored drinks.
Packaging Lists for 5 days Mardi Himal Trek
What you pack for a trek is your choice. It also depends on the time of year that you have decided to go on the trek. Accumulating weight is not a wise way of packing. So, Pack Wise, Pack Light.
Here we have listed some of the general packaging lists for your 5 Days Mardi Himal Trek:
- A pair of comfortable Trekking shoes, Socks included.
- Jacket, a windcheater, and a nice fleece to stand the cold
- Trekking shirt, pants, and shorts
- Trekking sandals (for walking around while in the tea houses)
- A Hat
- Sunscreen Lotion
- Toiletries: Hand Sanitizer, tissue paper, towel, toothbrush and paste, shampoo, and soap
- A comfortable backpack with a cover
- Thermal wears, Breathable underwears
- Trekking Gloves
- A good quality Sleeping bag
- First aid kits
5 days Mardi Himal Trek is an amazing trekking journey on the lap of the Mardi Himal and Machhapuchhre Himal on the vicinity of Hiunchuli and Annapurna ranges.
This trek is full of adventure which takes you through the typical Gurung villages, the dense forests of pines and oaks, and the lush forests of rhododendrons.
For more information on this trek or any other treks in Nepal, you can contact us.