Clear skies, warm sunny days, lush green forests and meadows covered with millions of flowers is what you should expect while trekking in Nepal in April. The winter chill will have moved higher up the mountains by April. Clear and stunning views of mountains, pleasant weather, and spring blooms make April the second most popular time to visit Nepal.
Autumn is regarded as the peak tourist season. However, spring months are no less stunning. Spring never fails to amaze the trekkers. The perfect weather conditions make spring one of the most preferred seasons by trekkers in Nepal after autumn. Days are sunny and warm. Nights do not get overly cold even in the high altitudes.
Nature gets painted in all colors you can possibly imagine. Summer rainfall brings nature to bloom. Rhododendron flowers paint the whole mountainside red and pink. Alpine meadows are lush green covered by a bed of wildflowers. The mountain slopes and valleys appear as if they are brought to reality from dreamland.
Spring season offers a fresh view of the same landscape and feels like a new destination even if you have trekked a route previously. So, re-trekking in April will freshen up your memory and relieve your olden memories.
Nepal has six seasons unlike you have known it always. This is one of the reasons why once is not enough in Nepal. Every six seasons have six different shades of color and ways of experiencing Nepal.
What would be more interesting than experiencing nature at its variety of color and texture in different seasons?
April is one of the best time to visit Nepal. Wherever, you go, cities, national parks in the southern plains or to the base camp of highest mountains, April promises a breath of fresh air to your holidays.
Table of Contents
Where to Trek in April?
Any popular trekking trails or off the beaten routes are possible to trek in April. Any routes in the Everest, Annapurna, Langtang can be trekked in April. You can trek any of these routes:
- Everest Base Camp Trek
- Everest three pass trekking
- Annapurna Base Camp Trek
- Annapurna Circuit Trek
- Langtang Kyanjing Gompa Trekking
- Manaslu Trekking
- Kanchenjunga Trekking
- Upper Mustang Trekking
- Makalu Base Camp Trekking
- Upper Dolpo and Shey Gompa Trekking
- Dhaulagiri Trekking
Other off the beaten routes and any short hikes can be traveled in summer. The landscape in April is different than that of September/October. Even if you have trekked before during these months, you will enjoy trekking the same route in April.
From short day hikes to multi-weeks long adventurous treks will be outdoor activities while you are in Nepal in April.
Highlights of Trekking in Nepal in April
- Nature is painted in colors of wildflowers
- Rhododendron forests come to full bloom in different colors
- Weather is warm and pleasant
- Does not get as cold as autumn and winters
- Local festivals such as Holi (festival of colors), New Year, Bisket Jatra, Mothers’ Day fall in this month
- Clear views with greenery, waterfalls, and flowers
- April is also a climbing season, so, you may meet the well-known climbers and expedition teams
- Migratory birds also visit Nepal. This is a perfect time for birdwatching and spotting exotic wild animals.
Weather in April in Nepal
Even the high altitudes are warmer during this month. Up to the altitude of 2000 meters, the daytime temperature is 22+ (71 degrees Fahrenheit) degree Celsius. Night time temperature at these altitudes is around 7 degrees Celcius (45 degrees Fahrenheit).
This is the time of hot weather with least chances of rainfall. Plus, the weather is quite stable with the low precipitation. So, you will get to enjoy the clearest views during this time of the year.
However, higher altitudes can get colder. There are fair chances of rain, thunderstorm, hailstorm and snow in high altitudes. So, warm clothes are required even if it is spring. High passes and base camps remain cold throughout the year with the cold wind blowing. The views can get obstructed by clouds.
But, you will get good chances of clear views depending on the weather.
Clothing for Trekking in Nepal in April
Spring does not mean you wear just a layer of clothes in the mountains. Always remember to dress up in layers. Although trekking during the day may get hot and sweaty, evenings, mornings and nights are still cold, depending on the altitude. Wear strong and waterproof trekking boots. You never know when you will be walking on summer drizzle or over the flowing water.
We recommend carrying a rain jacket, windproof jacket and rain cover for your backpack. As the humidity is higher, wear trekking shirts and shorts that are airy. However, carry fleece and warm jackets for evenings. Read more about clothings for trekking here.
Food and Accommodation for Trekking in Nepal in April
April is the pleasantest time to trek in any trekking trails of Nepal. So, many tourists hustle around the teahouses and lodges while on the treks. In the popular trekking trails like the Everest Base Camp, Annapurna Base Camp, Annapurna Circuit Trek, and other treks you will find ample teahouse for food and accommodation.
However, due to the increasing number of trekkers, you may have difficulty to find the desired food and accommodation. If you reach the teahouses lately then you may have to share the room with fellow trekkers as well. So, pre-booking for the food and accommodation is necessary to trek in Nepal in April.
Although it is not the cold season sometimes you may feel cold in the rooms as they lack the room heating. So, it is a good idea to pack a four-season sleeping bag to stay in the teahouses.
Tips for Trekking in Nepal in April
- Do not compromise with dressing up in layers as the weather may get worse any time
- Pack light and airy clothes as the humidity is high and the hikes may get excessively sweaty
- Wear waterproof and strong hiking boots
- April is a flowering season. If you are allergic to pollens, take precautions.
- Carry rain jacket, poncho, or umbrella
- Hiring a guide is recommended but not mandatory.
- Get travel insurance before you plan trekking anywhere in Nepal.
- Trekking routes are not as crowded as September/October, still, it is a good idea to book with hotels and lodges in advance
- Do not miss sunscreen and sunglasses
- Work out in advance to prepare for the trek. You can contact us for the guidance on pre-trek training.
- Carry cash for the trekking expenses
- Keep yourself hydrated and acclimatize before gaining altitude.
- Respect the local culture.
- In most of the trekking trails, locals do not accept foreign currencies. So, carry enough Nepali cash during the trek.
- Sometimes the monsoon may arrive early in the hilly regions welcoming insects, bugs, and leeches. So, it is a good idea to carry insect repellents.
- Do not forget to carry water purifiers/ purification tablets before you go for the treks.
- Learn about the symptoms, preventive measures of altitude sickness. It saves you in high altitudes.
If you are bothered by cold weather, April is the perfect month for you to trek in April. It is also suitable as there will be fewer tourists on the trail than other peak seasons. So, you will have the whole mountain on yourself and a few other trekkers.