Are you thinking of Trekking in Nepal in March?
Nepal is famous for traveling, trekking, and touring. Along with the popular high altitude treks, there are other rewarding treks as well.
March is really special! March is the beginning of Spring season. The winter fades away day by day welcoming warm and stable weather.
Trekking in March is a good time to explore the culture, flora and fauna of Nepal. The forests wear Rhododendron petals, while the mountains still bear the crown of snow. The exciting festivals, beautiful weather, and perfect trekking conditions are the highlights of the trekking in Nepal in March. You will get the most of nature if you visit Nepal in March.
The another merit of trekking in Nepal in March is that you can skip the busy trails of April (autumn). March is the perfect time of nature lovers. The valleys become green and the birds start singing again. The power and beauty of the mountains are most impressive.
The popular trekking trails like Everest Base Camp, Annapurna Base Camp, and Langtang Valley Trek will be full of life. Besides these, Gokyo Valley Trek, Everest Base Camp Cho La Pass- Trekking, Everest Panorama Trekking, Jiri to Everest Base Camp Trekking, Manaslu Circuit Trekking, are also equally popular.
For short and easier trekking routes, Mardi Himal Trek, Poon Hill Trekking, Langtang Valley Trekking, Short ABC Trek, Short EBC Trek are the most popular and suitable treks.
Table of Contents
Temperature and Weather Conditions for Trekking in Nepal in March
March is the tail of winter and the beginning of spring season in Nepal. During March the air is drier and the clear sky is dotted with clouds. March is still cold. Snowfall can continue in the higher elevations till mid-March.
The high mountains are still covered in blankets of snow. Snow at the lower altitudes begins to melt. The tiny sprouts and buds bring the valleys back to greenery and life. Also, the blossoms of Spring flowers fill the forested trails.
Skies are generally clear during morning and evening. You can see amazing views of the surrounding and distant scenarios in the morning. The sunrise and sunset views are beautiful. But the afternoon sky can be cloudy sometimes. Occasional thunderstorms, hail showers, and rain can occur in March.
As the winter passes by, days become warmer and longer. March starts with 7 hours of daylight (appx.). Warm and longer days are idle for trekking. You shouldn’t hurry to reach your destination. You can walk slowly enjoying the surroundings.
Temperatures start to increase gradually. In the Himalayan region, temperatures will drop below 0 during mornings and evenings. The daytime temperature in Kathmandu valley averages around 23°C. The temperature can vary from 26°C to 20°C in March.
In the daytime, even the upper hills and lower mountains have mild temperatures. This makes the Himalayan trek more comfortable. March is the month when the daytime and nighttime temperatures have wide variations.
Temperature falls below freezing so quickly at high altitudes regions. Always expect the weather and temperature at the base camp and passes to be extreme.
Why Trekking in Nepal in March?
During March, the sky is clear and the weather remains stable for long, even at the Himalayas. Thus, the clear weather makes trekking in March comfortable. The clear weather encourages the perfect views of the surrounding and distant landscapes.
Encounter with Mountaineers
March is a climbing season. So, while trekking in Nepal in March, you may encounter several mountaineers. You can share your experiences with them and hear about their stories on mountaineering.
Celebrate Holi, Ghode Jatra, and Chaite Dashain
In March Nepalese people celebrate several festivals like Holi, Ghode Jatra, and Chaite Dashain. Holi is the festival of colors. Ghode Jatra is the festival where Horses perform various stunts. Chaite Dashain is a big festival of Hindus.
The celebration of the festival is rejoicing. You can be a part of the festivals while trekking in Nepal in March.
Vegetation and Wildlife
March is the tail of winter. March uncovers the snow blankets over the beautiful valleys at the Himalayas. Also, the plants and animals rejuvenate from their long winter sleep. More wildlife and birds are active in March due to favorable temperature.
Clear Views of the Mountains
The mountains are clearly visible in March. The clear atmosphere and blue sky add beautiful backgrounds to the Himalayan panoramas. The white snowy peaks glistening in sun rays is an amazing view.
5 Best Destinations for Trekking in Nepal in March
Everest Region Treks
Everest Base Camp trek is the most popular trekking route in Nepal. In March, the trekking trail is quite busy. You will have a Comfortable Everest Base Camp Trek, Short Everest Base Camp Trek, Gokyo Lake Trekking, Everest View Trekking, Everest Three Pass Trekking, etc are the popular trekking routes for March.
Highlights of Everest Region Treks
- The Base Camp of World’s highest mountain, Mt. Everest.
- Kalapathar, the majestic viewpoint of Everest.
- The mesmerizing views of Mt Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse, Ama Dablam, etc.
- Big monasteries at Tengboche and Dingboche.
- Khumbu glacier, the biggest glacier in Nepal.
- The Ngozumpa Glacier, the longest glacier in Nepal.
- Namche Bazar, the capital of the Khumbu region.
- Sagarmatha National Park. Diverse wildlife and vegetation.
- The unique lifestyle of Sherpa, their tradition and culture.
Annapurna Region Trek
Annapurna Base Camp Trek is one of the most sorted out trekking destinations in Nepal. It is a moderate level trek and requires no previous trekking experiences. In March most of the trail becomes colorful with Rhododendron blossoms.
Some of the popular Annapurna Region Treks in March are Jomsom Muktinath Trekking, Khopra Ridge Trek, Tilicho Lake Trekking, Mardi Himal Trekking, Annapurna Circuit Trek, Ghorepani Poon Hill Trekking, etc.
Highlights of Annapurna Region Trek
- Enchanting views of the world’s highest mountains: Dhaulagiri I (7th) and Annapurna I (10th).
- Remarkable sunrise views from Poon Hill.
- The Annapurna Base Camp.
- The Macchapuchre Base Camp.
- Spectacular mountain, waterfalls, and glaciers.
- Natural bath in hot springs at Jhinu Danda.
- The Gurung villages at Ghorepani and Chhomrung.
Manaslu Circuit Trekking
Highlights of Manaslu Circuit Trekking
- The scenic drive to Solti Khola from Kathmandu.
- The Budhi Gandaki River valley.
- Manaslu and the neighboring peaks.
- Experiencing the mixed culture of Nepalese and Tibetan.
- Trekking between the borders of Nepal and Tibet.
- The Manaslu Conservation Area. Diverse flora and fauna.
- The Larkya La Pass, 5215 m.
Kanchenjunga Trekking is a beautiful trekking into wilderness in Nepal. In March, the weather and temperature are suitable for Trekking to Kanchenjunga Base Camp.
Highlights of Kanchenjunga Trekking
- Short and scenic flight from Kathmandu to Biratnagar to Taplejung.
- The Kanchenjunga Base Camp.
- The Yalung Ri Base Camp.
- Magnificent Himalayan vistas of gigantic peaks like Mt. Everest, Mt Makalu, and Mt Kanchenjunga.
- Local ethnic groups, their traditions, and culture
- Diverse landscapes, wide terrains, beautiful flora, and fauna.
- The Mirgin La Pass, 4480 meters.
Langtang Region Treks
are the most popular treks in Langtang region. In March, you will see the Rhododendrons and wildflowers blooming all over the forested trails.
Highlights of Langtang Region Trek
- Breathtaking panoramas of Langtang and Ganesh Himal ranges.
- Scenic drive over mountain terrain, Kathmandu to Syabrubeshi.
- Langtang Valley, The valley of glaciers.
- Old Buddhist shrines: Langtang Gompa and Kyanjin Gompa.
- Witnessing Tibetan Buddhist Culture
- Walking through dense rhododendron forest, valleys, and diverse terrains.
Accommodation and Food for Trekking in Nepal in March
March is a popular time for trekking in Nepal. Most of the popular trekking destinations start seeing quite a number of trekkers in March. The traffic isn’t as much as in Autumn, yet is high.
You shouldn’t really worry about finding accommodation in March.
The modes of accommodation differ at different trekking destinations. At some places, you will be accommodating at teahouses. At some places, you’ll find basic lodges to even luxury hotels.
If you are trekking to the mountains, there are some trekking routes with very few numbers of teahouses. While trekking to such destinations in March, early booking is always the best thing.
Hiring a Guide/ Porter for Trekking in Nepal in March
There are some restricted trekking destinations in Nepal like Manaslu Circuit Trek. If you want to trek in such areas, you must trek with an experienced guide or a porter.
For other trekking destinations, hiring a guide and/or a porter is always optional. Hiring a guide is always beneficial. They will help you and assist you regarding the entire trek and plannings. Also, hiring them ensures your personal safety as well.
Lots of trekkers feel exhausted during longer lengths. Hire a porter who will help you carry your loads. Let a professional guide you. Hiring a porter along with a guide for longer treks is necessary.
If you want a guide or a porter, Contact us. We will help you arrange registered and experienced guides and porters.
Altitude Sickness while Trekking in Nepal in March
The risk of Altitude Sickness is always there in the high altitude treks in all seasons. There are possibilities of getting altitude sickness during Everest Region trek, Tilicho Lake trek, Kanchenjunga Base Camp trek, and other high altitude treks in Nepal.
If you are doing high altitude treks in March, make sure you take necessary precautions. Trek slowly, don’t get exhausted. Make a proper acclimatization schedule and don’t skip them.
Train your body well. The training should focus on physical strengthening, cardiovascular exercises, and on proper dietary patterns. Eat healthy diet on the trek. Maintain a steady pace of walk while trekking.
Getting Trekking Permits for Trekking in Nepal in March
You cannot trek to any of the trekking destinations in Nepal without getting trekking permits. All the trekking trails in Nepal are open for trekking in March.
Trekking in different parts of the country requires different trekking permits. For restricted areas, you will need restricted area permits. To trek into national parks and conservation areas, you will need conservation area permits. Similarly, there are other permits like TIMS Card.
Which trekking destination are you planning to go to? Do not worry about obtaining the necessary permits. We can arrange them for you. Contact Us.
If you want to get them by yourself, you can get most of the trekking permits at Nepal Tourism Board, Kathmandu.
General Tips on March Trekking in Nepal
- Take Proper Gear and Equipment. Pack light, but include every essential. Research on Essential Gears for Trekking in Nepal in March.
- Hydrate yourself properly. Drink plenty of water and rehydrating salts, if you have any.
- Start your trek early. Book earlier for accommodations for high altitude and remote area treks.
- Build up your mental and physical strength before you go. You can practice various exercises and training depending on the trek difficulty.
- Be sure you spare some free days. March is the best time to go. But unpredictable weather and accidental injuries can happen.
So, have you made up your mind for trekking in Nepal in March? If so, the beautiful trekking destinations in Nepal are waiting for your arrival.
Build up your physical strength and endurance. Prepare a strong mentality. Get information on everything that you must know. Aren’t you excited already?
If you want to trek with us, Contact Us. We assure you the best trek ever. Let us know if you have any suggestions or queries regarding Trekking in Nepal in March.