Everest Base Camp Kala Patthar Trekking
The Everest Base Camp Kala Patthar trekking is in the bucket list of trekkers around the world.
If you are in love with the mountains and spectacular nature, you must be dreaming to trek to Mount Everest. Put on your hiking boots and gear up for your next Himalayan expedition to Nepal.
The Everest Base Camp Trek is two weeks long hike up to the world’s highest mountains. On this trek, you will walk to the two most renowned spots of the Everest region. They are Everest Base Camp, the base of the highest peak in the world Mt. Everest and Kala Patthar, the ultimate vantage point for the best views of Mt. Everest.
During your adventurous hike in the mountains, you will be greeted by towering mountains and friendly people. Sherpa people have their own language, culture, and unspoiled traditions. Their friendly smiles, warm hospitality will melt your heart in the chilling mountain air.
During your 14 days long trek, you will wander around the top of the world. Magical forests, sky touching mountains and monasteries unfold before your eyes. You will have to pinch yourself to believe you are on the earth not in heaven.
You will trek through the Sagarmatha National park which is a UNESCO World Heritage site. The national park is a home of 118 species of birds, endangered animal, and plants. If you are lucky, you will encounter them on your trail to Everest.
Highlights of Everest Base Camp Kala Patthar Trek
Stunning Mountain Scenery
Everest Base Camp Kala Patthar trek takes you to the heart of Himalayas. The Everest region has some of the highest mountains in the world, above 8000 meters. Mount Everest is the tallest mountain standing 8848 meters above sea level. Iconic mountains like Ama Dablam, Lhotse, Pumori, Cho Oyu fill your vision throughout your trek.
Everest Base Camp
Everest Base Camp, 5364 meters is the ultimate destination of your trek. It is the starting point of climbers and end point for trekkers. You will get to meet the expedition teams and Sherpas preparing to ascend Mount Everest during the expedition seasons. The nearby glaciers, Khumbu Icefall, and mountains offer stunning views.
Kalapatthar View Point
Kala Patthar is a popular vantage point to view sunrise and sunset in Everest. Located at 5643 meters, this is an excellent place to watch Everest and other mountains. The peak of Everest gets obscured from the base camp. Trekkers climb up to Kala Patthar early in the morning to catch the sunrise and panoramic views. From here, you see the Everest Base camp with tents adding color to the rugged mountain terrain.
Exotic Sherpa Culture and Smiling Faces
Everest region is the home of the Sherpa community of Nepal. These people worship the mountains. Many of them make their living from the tourism industry. They greet you on the trail, nearby villages and at your tea houses and lodges. They offer you homely services at your resting places. You can also interact with them and experience their lifestyle and rich culture. Namche Bazaar, Dingboche, Lobuche, Tengboche, and other villages are excellent places to go friendly with Sherpas.
Everest region has many monasteries at the highest altitude. During your trek you will come across Tengboche, Pangboche and other monasteries. You can visit them during the prayer hours and have enchanting experiences. These centuries-old monasteries make you contemplate nirvana in the Himalayas.
Rare Flora and Fauna
Sagarmatha National park is home to rare birds, animals, and plants. During the spring season, entire forest burst in colors with rhododendron and alpine wildflowers. You may get a chance to see rare animals like snow leopard, musk deer, Himalayan Black Bear, red panda, langoors and colorful birds. Local folklore state that Yetis roam in the mountains. You may meet one of the Yetis hiding in the mountains if you believe in myths.
The airport at Lukla is one of the challenging airports of the world. Landing and taking off at this airport located at 2860 meters is a thrilling experience on its own. Plane spotting at the airport can be an amusing experience while you wait for your next flight.
Everest Base Camp Kala Patthar Trek itinerary
Day 1: Arrival in Kathmandu. (1300m)
Day 2: Free and arrangement day, Sightseeing Day
Day 3: Kathmandu to Lukla (2860m) then Trek to Monzo (2804m), 10 KM
Day 4: Trek from Monzo to Namche Bazaar. (3445m), 4 KM Approx
Day 5: Acclimatization Day in Namche Bazaar.
Day 6: Namche Bazaar to Tengboche (3850m), 9.5 KM Approx
Day 7: Tengboche to Dingboche (4350m) 11 KM Approx.
Day 8: Dingboche to Lobuche (4950m). 11 KM Approx.
Day 9: Lobuche to Ghorakshep (5160m). Trek to Everest Base Camp 5,364 m and Down to Ghorakshep. 15 KM Approx.
Day 10: Gorak Shep to Kalapathar (5643m). Trek down to Pheriche, 13 KM Approx.
Day 11: Pheriche to Khumjung Village (3753 m)
Day 12: Khumjung Village to Monjo (2840m)
Day 13: Monjo to Lukla
Day 14: Lukla to Kathmandu by Flight
Day 15: Departure from Nepal
This is our standard 15-days EBC with Kala Patthar trek itinerary. You can contact us any time to customize the trip as per your preference. We will be happy to re-plan the itinerary as per your convenience.
Cost of Everest Base Camp and Kala Patthar Trek
Exciting Nepal Offers the best value trek packages of Everest Kala Patthar trek. Our package price starts at the US $1,185 per person. We can arrange some discounts if you are in large groups. Do let us know in advance for best offers of the season.
- Airport / Hotel / Airport pick up & drop by private vehicle.
- Two-night hotel in Kathmandu with breakfast.
- Your entire standard Meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) during the trek. A Cup of Tea/ Coffee during the Breakfast.
- Seasonal Fruits.
- Tea House hotel accommodation during the trek. Attached bathroom Namche and Lukla.
- An experienced and friendly government license holder guide, his/her food, accommodations, salary, insurance, equipment, and medicine.
- Round Trip flight fare Kathmandu – Lukla-Kathmandu for member and Guide.
- Kathmandu & domestic airport taxes in Kathmandu and Lukla airport for Group and crews.
- Medical supplies, first aid kit box, including Oximeter and pulse meter checker.
- An arrangement of Emergency Helicopter service (paid by your Travel Insurance Company). If in case.
- Sleeping bag, down Jacket, Duffel bag and walking Poles (if you don’t have your own, to be returned after trip completes).
- Sagarmatha National Park entry permits.
- Trekking route map.
- Local Area Permit
- All ground transportation.
- All applicable government taxes.
- Your travel insurance. (Compulsory)
- International airfare.
- Nepal entry visa fee.
- Items of a personal nature such as alcoholic drinks, cold drinks, laundry.
- Personal trekking equipment.
- Extra hotel night in Kathmandu.
- Activities in Kathmandu.
- Porter if you need (200 USD for 12 days).
Best Time for Everest Base Camp Kala Patthar Trek
Trekking to Mt. Everest Base Camp can be done during any months of spring (March, April, May) and autumn season (September, October, November). Spring offers nature at its best with warm and pleasant weather and rhododendron blossoms everywhere on the trekking trail. While, autumn offers clear skies, major festivals of Nepal, greenery and clear views of mountains.
The best trekking season is from September to November and March to May. These months have clear skies, less rainfall, and calm weather. The average day-time temperature in these months ranges between 15 to 20-degree Celsius (59 to 68-degrees Fahrenheit). The temperature at night may fall below zero, depending on altitude.
Months of June, July, August are quite troublesome and demand more preparation and physical stamina. Weather during these months are unpredictable and can witness heavy rainfall. These months witness heavy rainfalls and frequent changes in weather. High altitude will witness snowfall and may block high passes.
Winter months (December, January, February) offer the clearest views and cloudless skies. But, the temperature goes below minus 15-degree Celsius. If you can tolerate the cold weather, you will still be a happy trekker. You need to prepare for the extreme temperatures.
Everest Base Camp Kala Patthar Trek Difficulties
Everest Base Camp and Kalapatthar trek is not extremely challenging. The trails are marked and easy to navigate. Yet, the altitude and duration of the trek demand mental and physical commitment. The actual trek starts at 2860 meters at Lukla and goes up to 5643 meters at Kala Patthar.
The altitude can cause acute mountain sickness. So, you must acclimatize properly to adjust and prepare your body for high altitude.
People of all ages can trek to Everest Base Camp but you need to prepare a few months in advance. More than the physical fitness, you will need mental stamina.
And, as the mountain weather changes in every hour, the weather and temperature of the Everest Base Camp trek are quite unpredictable. So, you may have to spend extra day in Lukla because of the flight delays or cancellation. So, for such inconveniences, you should come prepared with the proper packing list for the Everest Base Camp trek.
Tips for Everest Base Camp Kala Patthar Trekking
- Work out in advance to prepare for the trek. Click here for guidance on pre-trek training.
- Pack light without missing the necessary items. Refer to the complete packing list for Everest Base Camp.
- Hiring a guide is recommended but not mandatory. Hiring a guide for the EBC trek is easy, refer here for details.
- Carry Nepali cash for the trekking expenses. You will not find ATMs in the trekking trails as you leave from Namche Bazaar.
- Keep yourself hydrated and acclimatize properly before gaining altitude. This way you can minimize the risks of altitude sickness.
- Respect the local culture and do not do anything that goes against the local customs and traditions.
- Buy travel insurance that covers up to the height of 6000 meters and has an immediate helicopter evacuation.
- Start trekking early in the morning and reach your final destination before the sunset.
- Pre-book for the food and accommodation, especially if you are trekking in the peak seasons.
For more details contact us here or book your next trek here.